Friday, November 14, 2008

Random Links and Thoughts...

Hi Darlings:

I was trying to figure out what to write about today. Frankly, I was going to link to other fashion related articles. I actually just saw this great article in New York Times about this wife/mom/worker and her experience with Spanx, you know the modern girdle and her eventual decision to just work out. She was pondering her use of Spanx and I was into the article until she said this - "For years I didn’t even bother to weigh myself because I thought all I needed was Spanx, the same Lycra and spandex flab-management system that helped Gwyneth Paltrow hide her haunting post-pregnancy paunch."

I have decided lately that I am not sure I am into Gwyneth Paltrow or ever will be. Why? I am not sure you are aware but Gwyneth started a blog entitled GOOP where she advocates the philosophies "Make, Go, Get, Do, Be, See" and give sage advice on how she lives her life. What they heck do these terms mean? Well you have to sign up for the newsletter to find out. I was curious so I did. Some of the advice on living well is simple and should be well received but in many ways the GOOP site is purely about the mantra "My life is perfect because I am perfect. Try if you can to be like me." But, like the urge to open a fashion magazine just because the cover picture is pretty so is the urge to click open the GOOP emails. They start off with nice pastel colors.

When in the DO email she had experts who for example, said this:

Start with sleep. Sleep eight hours or more each night. Do what you have to
do to get to sleep; there are plenty of natural agents that work. Try them:
herbs (valerian), tea (chamomile), amino acids (tryptophan or hydroxy-tryptophan) and vitamins (magnesium and B6). These can be powerful sedatives and work just as well as prescription agents without the risks. Sleep plays a powerful role in determining your appetite, energy and attitude. Sleep better for two weeks before changing your diet. Then try eliminating “white” foods, those that are made with sugar, white flour and milk. If you eliminate them one at a time, start with flour, then eliminate dairy and then sugar. Sugar is easier to quit after a few weeks of no other “white” stuff. Remember high fructose corn syrup and dextrose are sugar by another name. Give yourself about two weeks to get used to each before eliminating the next one.

Exercise regularly. I know you want to but you don’t have the energy to do it. Sleep
eight hours for two weeks, then start eliminating “white” foods. After two weeks of sleeping and eating better, you’ll have the energy to exercise. Begin as you like. If you are totally out of shape, start by walking 15 minutes a day and add a minute every day for the first month. At the end of a month, you’ll be up to 45 minutes a day, which should make you ready for whatever more strenuous form of exercise you want to try. Experiment with them all to see what works best for you and stick with it.

Police your thoughts and deal with your feelings constructively. Most of the background chatter in our mind is worrying, judging, criticizing, defending and complaining. Catch yourself and create a distraction by redirecting your thoughts toward the things that you are grateful for and optimistic about.

All these are free (okay, except if you have to buy the sleepers) and all are within your ability. No professionals required. By doing them you will create a customized health plan that will surely result in you getting healthier by the day. Christian Renna, D.O. LifeSpan Medicine, 2008 Dr. Christian Renna is a nationally recognized expert in the field of contemporary preventive medicine and the founder of LifeSpan Medicine clinics.

I thought great advice. But then in SEE she says:
I've also included some of my favorite websites that everyone can take a look at
no matter where they live. The only one that is not free is Zagat, which I have an obsession with. I literally do not go out to eat until I reference it (it’s a thing I may need to get over). I love Epicurious and Chow for other foodie-related things. For off-the-beaten-track home and kitchen things, I like the Handpicked Collection and CB2, as well as Williams-Sonoma and Divertimenti. Sometimes I window shop on Net-a-Porter or Matches when my kids are asleep.
And then references places to go in Madrid, London and New York. Well Gwyneth not everyone has the ability to just pick up and go to the Chows restaurant or Madrid or New York. And frankly are you supposed to just SEE the food and not eat. Hmmm... Well anyway, I don't exactly hate the emails. Some of the advice she gives serve as reminders that you should find joy in the life you are living even though your best life means $20 instead of $1000 dinners.

Hugs and besos

No comments:

 
Site Meter